Highlights of our Partnership:
- Staff members at The Denver Hospice are proud of our partnership. There is almost universal knowledge of the partnership.
- Selian is the most popular payroll deduction. We raise over $15,000 annually through monthly payroll deductions.
- The Denver Hospice staff and Board have raised over $500,000 since our partnership began in 2001.
- The Denver Hospice, with the generous support of Board members, has raised the money or assisted in finding funds for three vehicles and a motorcycle.
- Professional exchange visits help strengthen the partnership. In even years, two Selian Hospice colleagues visit us at The Denver Hospice, and in odd years, a group of Denver Hospice staff & volunteers go to Tanzania to observe and volunteer.
- The Denver Hospice staff and Board members raised the funds to buy and renovate a building so that Selian now has an office and training facilities. They can now train local volunteers and staff as well as other hospice providers in Tanzania.
- Financial support is only one aspect of our partnership. Just as important are moral support, friendship, and education. We communicate regularly with Selian Hospice staff, and they know that we care about them and support their work.
How our partnership fits into the larger picture:
Our partnership was created through the Foundation for Hospices in Sub Saharan Africa (FHSSA), a program of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO). There are over 90 US-African hospice partnerships, including several in Colorado. The Denver Hospice/Selian Hospice partnership is one of the oldest and most active, and we serve as a mentor for new partnerships.