Highlights of our Partnership:
- Staff members at The Denver Hospice are proud of our partnership. There is almost universal knowledge of the partnership.
- Selian is the most popular payroll deduction. We raise over $15,000 annually through monthly payroll deductions.
- The Denver Hospice staff and Board have raised nearly $400,000 since our partnership began in 2001.
- The Denver Hospice, with the generous support of Board members, has raised the money or assisted in finding funds for three vehicles and a motorcycle.
- Over 24 staff and volunteers from The Denver Hospice have visited Selian.
- Seven Selian Hospice staff members have visited The Denver Hospice.
- The Denver Hospice staff and Board members raised the funds to buy and renovate a building so that Selian now has an office and training facilities. Now they can carry out their role as the national training center for home-based hospice in Tanzania.
- The staff at Selian know that we care about them. We e-mail regularly, updating each other on our lives and the hospice work.
How our partnership fits into the larger picture:
partnership was created through the Foundation for Hospices in Sub
Saharan Africa (FHSSA), a program of the National Hospice and Palliative
Care Organization (NHPCO). There are currently 93 US-African hospice
partnerships, including five in Colorado. The Denver Hospice/Selian Hospice partnership is one of the oldest and most active, and we serve as a mentor for new partnerships.